Friday, May 14, 2010

PhD Anyone?

So now, I would just like to share my sentiments regarding people who obtained their PhD. I would like to reiterate that I am not generalizing but this is just based on my experience.

Indeed, to advance one's career it is but a must to take further studies. Perhaps take a master's degree, a doctorate degree, post-baccalaureate, post-graduate, diploma or whatever; such ensures that one is being a step ahead. However, I have some observation regarding individuals who pursued this kind of endeavor. Although their career is flourishing; their attitude stinks gradually. Then again, I repeat that I am not generalizing.

There's a saying in Filipino, "Ang taas ng ihi mo." Definitely, this idiom best describes some people who attained such a high degree. Of course, they have the right to act such and be haughty, but there's always a limit. They are starting to have the conception that by virtue of their degree, it makes them superior to those who have a degree less than what they have. Well, this is partially true but I would to like remind them that before becoming a PhD holder they were first a person. When you strip them out of their degree, their ego shrinks to the molecular level.

I can still remember one instance that made me develop this thought. That person said, "mahiya naman kayo mga doctor tao dito" (pertaining to PhD holders) and "Kung inaakala nyong mataas ang sweldo namin dito, nagkakamali kayo." When I recall these lines, my ire brews to high heavens. It makes me want to pour ice cold water on that person's head to wash the blistering pride away. Ok, I'll stop because I may blurt out something that is highly inappropriate. But my point is: (1) Before you gained your PhD you were a regular person like me, like anyone of us. (2) There are some people who have such a degree but they made me admire them more because the place a premium on being humble despite their achievements, kudos to them! (3) Having a Phd makes you a better academician or an invaluable asset to the company; However it does not necessarily make you a better person.

This is my subtle answer to what the person said although I did not say it directly out of respect. If you don't like the compensation then by all means go to another institution, no one is forcing you to work here. I am not begging for your service, well I would say this in Filipino because the impact is much greater. Hindi kami nanlilimos ng serbisyo mo dahil nagbayad kami para sa serbisyo na 'yan; kaya huwag mong ipamukha na nanlilimos kami ng serbisyo mo. Binabayaran ka para gawin yan.

The shine that you have now will dull later on. By that time, you can count your real achievements by the people around you and not by what you have done.

No comments:

Post a Comment